Barbed Wire. Militant February 1998
Startling New Poll Findings
A recent Poll by Corporate Ratings Australia Polls revealed a surprising shift of opinion in favour of retaining the Monarchy, as shown in the results of a recent poll.
- Are you in favour of a Republic in which the President would be appointed by a committee of former Australian Prime Ministers?
- Are you in favour of a President elected by popular vote having the power of life-and-death over all citizens (except those with more than $10,000 in the bank)
- Do you think the Queen Mother is a nice person?
In response to this poll, Militant decided to conduct its own poll to verify whether these results are an accurate reflection of views in relation to changing the Constitution. The results are as follows:
- Are you in favour of members of Parliament, having the right be on the street after 6pm?
- Are you in favour of the entire membership of both houses of Parliament, being wrapped in a plastic bag and thrown into Lake Burley-Griffin?
- Are you in favour of the boss in your workplace being subject to popular vote?
- Are you in favour of God being elected by popular mandate?
- Would you support having a Constitution which did not specify how often if ever elections should be held, enshrines the rights of politicians but guarantees no rights at all for other citizens, recognises theft as the only legitimate form of property, grants immunity from Australian law to troops and battleships from another country, debars public employees and political prisoners from being elected to Parliament and places absolute power in the hands of the hereditary ruler of a foreign country?